Having read Victoria’s lovely post about her upcoming birthday I thought I’d create my own.
So on the day I turn 32, here are 32 facts about me.
1. I love blog posts like this because I’m inherently a nosy person (I’ve been like this since I was little; always loving to listen in to neighbours’ conversations when sitting in the garden in summer!)
2. My middle name is Louise. As, it seems, is almost every other 30-something year old’s too.
3. I changed my surname when I got married in 2016. I don’t regret it but I do really miss my maiden name.
4. My blog name ‘Halfway Home’ comes from a Jason Mraz song and was suggested by Jonny when I didn’t know what to call this little spot of the internet.
5. My all time favourite song, however, is Mr Brightside by The Killers.
6. Our wedding first dance song was You’re My Best Friend by Queen. We’re not a cool couple.
7. I’m an Aquarius (which apparently means I’m creative, stubborn and have a weird sense of humour!)
8. I have 4 piercings and one tattoo. (I used to have 9 piercings.)
9. I’m scared of spiders, cows and wasps. I’m an actual wimp.
10. My parents’ springer spaniel, Purdey is my favourite animal in the whole world. She always makes me smile with her constant need for attention.
11. My little brother lives in Sydney, Australia and I miss him a ridiculous amount.
12. When Jonny proposed to me I thought he was actually about to give me a puppy. He still maintains I’d have preferred the puppy.
13. I taught myself to knit to stave off the boredom of unemployment in 2009. Now I’m unemployed again it’s a hobby I’m getting back into.
14. I quit teaching after 8 years to pursue a completely different career. I’m not sure what that is yet.
15. When I was 20 I had appendicitis. The hospital almost wouldn’t let me sign the operation consent form because they thought I was under 16 and my mum thought I was being melodramatic about a hangover when I called her to let her know what was going on.
16. 10 Things I Hate About You is my favourite film. I can pretty much quote along to it word-for-word. If you haven’t watched it you really should, if only for the dreamboat that was late 90s Heath Ledger.
17. The thing that annoys me most is bad manners. Saying please, thank you, excuse me and sorry costs nothing!
18. I get annoyed fairly easily. I have a short temper. It’s improving with age but it’s definitely still a thing. I blame my Irish father.
19. Winter is my favourite season. I love wrapping up in lots of cosy layers, I love Christmas, I love snow and my birthday falls in winter; win win.
20. Getting my BA (Hons) in History in 2007 still remains one of the achievements I’m most proud of.
21. My favourite childhood book was Can’t You Sleep Little Bear, closely followed by anything by Beatrix Potter. Now I’m an adult I can’t choose a favourite.
22. I grew up in West Yorkshire although now I live on the other side of the Pennines in Lancashire. Our little village is beautiful but the weather is 100% better in Yorkshire.
23. I love daffodils. Like, really love daffodils. So much so that we had a spring wedding so that they could be incorporated into the flowers.
24. There’s a field at the bottom of our street with 2 ponies in it. I don’t know their names so I’ve christened them Peter the Pony and Henry the Horse. You’ve got to love alliteration.
25. I’m on the eternal quest to have a more minimalist house but I love tack and woodland creature themed decorations too much for this to ever be the case.
26. We’re big David Attenborough fans in our house. I can’t get through an episode without crying. Happy crying. Sad crying. Crying because the bobbit is creepy af.
27. I have one nephew, one goddaughter and one godson. They’re all ridiculously cute.
28. I would love children one day. I would also love people to stop asking when that’s going to happen. Once you’re married it seems to be a favourite question to ask.
29. For my 30th birthday I went to a champagne reception at Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) I spent the entire evening pretending I was Lady Mary and to be a LOT posher than I actually am.
30. Despite having lived in the north of England all my life I don’t have a particularly strong northern accent. I don’t really have any accent and can’t do any impressions of any either.
31. I secretly really enjoy cleaning. Having a clean home really pleases me. Simple things.
32. My balance and coordination are awful. I regularly fall up the stairs and often bump into inanimate objects. At any given time there’s at least one bruise on each of my legs/arms.